President: Sis. Snow ~ 1st. Counselor: Sis. Griffin ~ 2nd Counselor: Sis. Mark ~ Secretary: Sis. Pyrah

Thursday, November 29, 2012

4th Sunday lesson Summary

Sis. Murdock gave the lesson this Sunday on the conference talk - The first great commandment - by Elder Holland

Sis Murdock asked, "What is the first and greatest commandment? To love the Lord their God with all their hearts." 

Sis Murdock talked about her love of how Elder Holland can explain the scriptures and retell the stories in a way that she understands them. He talks about the 11 disciples left after Jesus was crucified and how they just went back to their normal lives and "jobs". Then we Jesus returned and asked Peter 3 times if he loved him Peter was discouraged and didn't understand. 
From his talk is says, "Whatever his feelings, Peter said for the third time, “Lord, … thou knowest that I love thee.”To which Jesus responded (and here again I acknowledge my nonscriptural elaboration), perhaps saying something like: “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation? Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world."

Sis Murdock asked, "Is it hard to prove our love to Heavenly Father everyday?"
"How much do we love and our loyal to the Lord? 60%?.....90%?....."

It has been said The greater the difficulty the greater the glory. Do you believe that? Would you rather have big trials to prove your love and loyalty than the easy life and hope that's enough?

The 2nd great commandment is to love thy neighbor as thyself. Who is my neighbor?
She shared a humorous poem I am trying to get a copy of. If so, I will post it here.

Why did God put the 1st commandment first?........If you put the Lord first, all other things fall into place or drop out of lives. 
Sis Murdock said she wasn't sure what our experience would be on judgement day but wondered if we would be asked, "Do you love me and what did you do on earth to further my work?
The crowning characteristic of love is loyalty. 

In Stake Conf. the President said, "if you have any gray hair on your head you need to go on a mission." 

Heavenly Father expects your love and loyalty at every stage of your life. 
story of the king
Sis. murdock shared a wonderful story about a king and his well running out of water. I'd like to share it in it's entirety and hopefully can find it get a copy.

When we give our love and loyalty we will receive more than we took.